Howdy, about bloody time i updated. When i last posted i had just changed job and moved into a new house at the same time. Needless to say it has been an incredibly busy time. The house is still in various stages of development due to my own laziness and ineptitude when it comes to DIY. Well to be fair im learning as i go. Things started off fine and dandy with painting. Painting is one of those jobs everyone can do but few are actually good at and i discovered thanks to my girlfriend im not one of those few. I was relegated to base coating the entire house in white paint before she put on the colour in each room. After days of painting white on white i seem to have blown a fuse in the back of my head which renders me unable to hear the word paint without collapsing into the fetal position. Normally in this situation i will take one of two courses of action, the first is to put my head down and paint like a man possesed until the walls, ceilings and anything that gets in my way is completely whitewashed. The other course is to give up completely and find something else to do instead.
I chose to give up and turned my hand to the wood floors instead and it seems im almost good at it. Im using this Non-glue click stuff from B&Q in the bedrooms and im surprised at how its turning out. It looks like i had help.
The new job… where do i start. In many ways its great. Im working with an experienced developer who knows all the inner workings of the company and so on which has been great. I came in as the new guy with the new ideas which were patiently listened too. I worried that my programming knowledge wouldn’t be up to to what was required but i found to my relief that it was and that was fine. But now after a few weeks i see what i really should have been worried about.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they go by.
Sweet jesus but im terrible when it comes to this. Whatever the reason its something i need to sort out. One particular module i was given had a particularly tight deadline and i managed to blow it big time. Granted everyone agreed that the original time allocated was way under what it would take. It did take me longer than it would have taken my colleague which leaves me wondering why? In order to give some insight into what i was asked to do let me set the stage.
Day 1: You get a 20 minute meeting where you are asked to develop a module called X. X it seems is hard for everyone to define, including the person who wants it.
Day 2: The deadline is set at an arbitrary number of DAYS, what this module is supposed to do when its finished is still not decided. So basically we have decided how long something is going to take before we decided what it is going to do and how. Now id like to point out that this way of working has been in place long before i got there and as far as i can tell it worked fine. Timelines were in some respect elastic allowing for some overrun. I dont as such blame the way the deadline was decided on, i blame myself for not putting my hand up and saying “whoa whoa whoa there lads are ye on steroids or something…”.
Week 4: And here we are, the deadline is so far in the past ill need a delorean and a stretch of road in order to see what it originally looked like.
So who’s to blame, my collegue, my boss, the estimation process we used, the existing system i built on, the system i built, the way i built it, or me.
No prizes for guessing its Me. At several points i could have spoken out and said, hey i need more info, i need help here, i need more time here or whatever but i didnt. Things started off badly and went into free fall from there.
Ill be the first to hold my hands up and say sorry but thats of little use when a client deadline will be missed. I think because this was my first major project ive been given some slack but im still dissappointed at how the whole thing went.
Note to self : Must do better.